Apr 28, 2007

Postcards From the Edge Aren't Always Pretty

Earlier this week, as I was talking to my friend Eric, he jokingly commented about how I never mention my "really cool friend Eric" on my blog. I promptly apologized for being so remiss, and that I'd talk about him sooner than later.

Sorry Eric, today is not your day.

This morning's post is a somber one, one that I've been trying to get my arms around writing for a day now. I finally caught up with my friend Kimberly on Saturday evening. Of all of the people that I went to high school with, Kim is the only one that I really still talk to on a regular basis (i.e. more than just Christmas and Thanksgiving). I was a little irked at Kim earlier this week. I had been IMing her routinely, trying to talk to her about how great things are here, between my new job and all of the life changes that I've been through. Little did I know that Kim was stuck in a personal hell.

Kim has always been one of those people who gives unselfishly of herself, and always has. She's the kind of person who, even though she might not know how to make something better, will do everything she can think of to try. She's smart, funny, caring, and dependable. It is a combination of these traits that make teaching a great profession for her.

After graduation Kim went to college to become a history teacher, and upon receiving her Masters and Teaching Certificate, returned to Leicester High School to take a position. Kim took the place of Mr. Chase, an old favorite at LHS and teaches, among other things, a Civics class that I can remember slogging my way through beside her as Seniors. Every time I talk to Kim, her voice lights up when she talks about her job, and especially her students.

Kim lost one of those students this week in a horrible car crash.

Everyone has been so caught up in the Virginia Tech shootings (as they probably should be), that things like this slip under the radar. An article about this accident was actually posted on cnn.com, a site that I read daily...and I missed it. When I asked my mom about it, she told me she had forgotten about it.

A car full of teenagers, two from Leicester, three from surrounding towns crashed last weekend on River Street in Leicester. Four of those teenagers were killed, one still remains in a coma. One of the deceased was a student in Kim's class. A sibling of the other teenager from Leicester killed is also in one of Kim's classes. All four that were killed were wearing their seat belts. Drugs and alcohol were not factors. The teenagers had gone out to dinner, and were racing home to try to beat curfew. When I talked to Kim, the teen that was in a coma still didn't know her friends were dead.

If only they had slowed down. I've driven the road where they were killed, most times at a rate of speed way beyond safe, usually with a car full of friends, often including Kim, trying to get everyone home for curfew.

Kim is one of those teachers that looks at her students as HER kids. She often refers to them in that manner, saying "you wouldn't believe what my kids did this week." Usually she goes into bragging about their intelligence and drive. She has hope for the future, and wants to pass it on. This accident, and the loss of one of her "kids" has hurt her badly. Yet, she is once again a pillar of strength, standing tall for those who need her, who feel like they've been left behind.

I can only hope that I have the strength that Kim has when faced with something like this.

Please, if you have a moment, say a prayer for Nathan (the boy who was killed), his friends, his mother, and his family - and include Kim too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, that was so sweet of you. Thank you for your warm thoughts- it is very well received.
It's so funny that you mentioned the IM'ing in the beg of the week b/c I realized (while it was happening) that I was neglecting you and I felt badly. Isn't that silly??? Silly b/c I couldn't get myself to call b/c I feared being too sad and remorseful instead of happy and hopeful for your new future. And it isn't at all because I thought you wouldn't be a great listener... moreso, b/c I just couldn't place words around the tragedy.
Our conversation that Sat was one that I really needed. It was SO good to catch up with you about the terrible accident and everything else that is occurring.
Although we do not speak daily, weekly, heck sometimes even monthly, when we do it always feels like we are just picking up from the day prior. That's when you know you are truly friends- when you can go weeks without speaking but the moment you/we need/want to speak, we are both there for one another.
My "kids" are adjusting remarkabley well. Bryan's brother, of course, is having difficulty (I would prefer to leave it as that on such a public site) but I really believe that his strong personality and belief system along with his wonderful, supportive family will help him pull through this.
Speaking of school.... I need to return to the dreadful correcting of countless papers and exams! Got to love the last month of school!
I love you!
Kim
aka Kimberly

Anonymous said...

One more comment for you to think about too Em (this is a combo from a few of your blogs)- I too, had to travel a road less traveled. After I graduated with my BA from AC and a teaching certificate- I didn't go right into it b/c I was promoted as Purchasing Mgr at Masterman's. BUT I also knew that I needed to be a teacher- I had to make a difference/impact with our future and the only way I knew/ know how to do that is to teach.
When you were writing about the feelings of uncertainty it brought me right back to that moment when I gave my notice and ventured into education. I was hoping that after I kicked but and adjusted to the new environment that I was good to go. Unfortunatley, financial constraints, budget cuts and less federal money caused me to lose my job. Now talk about irony- I left my original job which was wonderful and safe to pursue my dream and now I wasn't going to be able to do it! ugghhhh.... I remember going to the Job Agency with such ill feelings and walking into my new purchasing job with such distress. Those months were awful. However, as you know, I was called back after a semester and I proudly reside back at LHS trying my hardest to make a positive difference.
I know that you will be able to find your way- you are on the right track and now you are surrounded by such a loving, supportive person. Thank goodness for Ben (and D for that matter :)
Ok... I think I have written enough now... keep your head up- you can do it! It will all work out- you are too spectacular for it not to.
-Kim

Anonymous said...

I just noticed I wrote but
I meant to add an extra t
butt!!!!
I couldn't let it go! lol