Mar 3, 2007

My San Francisco

Today I went to San Francisco for what may be the last time in a long, LONG time. My friend Andy came with me to keep me company, and also to help me take pictures so I wouldn't have to ask strangers. We went to my favorite places, and he showed me some places that I wish I had known about before. So, Andy met me at my house and we took the early ferry over to the city. From there we took the Muni train out to the coast, where I really wanted to start my trip. We rode the Judah train to the end of the line, getting off at Ocean Beach. Ocean Beach was a great place for me to start today because it is a place that my parents know well and love. They spent their 20th and 25th anniversaries in San Francisco, and would go down to Ocean Beach to walk and collect Sand Dollars. My mom made those Sand Dollars that she collected into Christmas ornaments...which my dog Holly promptly ate off the Christmas tree.From there we went up to the windmill in Golden Gate Park. For years I have heard about what are supposed to be amazingly beautiful tulip gardens around the windmill. I have yet to see a single tulip in bloom. Today was no exception.There were beautiful poppies there today though, so it wasn't all for naught, and we managed to walk the entire length of Golden Gate Park. I've never actually done that before. I got to see things in the park that I didn't know existed. Did you know that there is a man-made waterfall on an island in the middle of a pond there? And that from that island in the middle of the pond, you can see the entire peninsula of San Francisco, in every direction? That's me in the upper right hand corner of the picture...I climbed the rocks beside the waterfall.After exploring the island, we went to the Japanese Tea Garden, one of my favorite places in Golden Gate Park. It is so peaceful there that I could spend hours just wandering through, sitting looking at the interesting sculptures, and drinking tea at the little pavilion they have set up there.
One of my main objectives today was to get to the Conservatory of Flowers. That was the reason that Andy and I walked the entire length of Golden Gate Park (about 4 miles). It is on the far eastern side of the park...we started out on the western side at the beach. It was well worth the walk though. As soon as you walk in the doors, it is like being in a jungle...except this one has beautiful stained glass surrounding the main entry, and very few bugs. From that main entry way, you have your choice of four different rooms. One was full of orchids and rain forest plants. The next was full of aquatic and carnivorous plants. Both of these rooms were very interesting, but my favorite room was the one with the potted flowers and exotic plants. It smelled like heaven when we walked in. I could have stood there for hours...just breathing. But, of course, my stomach started telling me that I was hungry...it was time to move on.
From the Conservatory, Andy and I hopped a bus to the Palace of Fine Arts. It is a beautiful dome that was built in the early 1900s, and survives to this day with it's accompanying colonnade. It is an awe inspiring and peaceful place for me walk around. We were only there briefly, but I couldn't leave San Francisco without going there just one more time.
Our original plan after the Palace of Fine Arts was to catch a bus to Fisherman's Wharf and do some shopping there. So we walked...and walked...and walked...and didn't end up actually catching a bus. Instead we walked all the way through Fort Mason to Fisherman's Wharf. What a beautiful place. I had never actually been there before, and I am kicking myself for not taking the time to explore the city more during my time here.

This evening I finally bought a piece of artwork that I have been looking at for months. It is a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise, and it is absolutely stunning. It will look fantastic on the wall in our apartment in Folly Beach, right next to Ben's picture of New York City.

With the day coming to a close, Andy and I headed for the Hard Rock Cafe so we could get a very late lunch before getting back on the ferry home to Alameda. He collects glasses from Hard Rock Cafes all over the world, but hadn't actually spent enough time in port to go there. So off to dinner we went, and we caught our ferry home.I had a great time today, exploring San Francisco as a tourist. I wish I had done it more while I was here. Oh well. If Ben and I stay associated with the Coast Guard long enough, I'm sure we'll be back...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good times indeed, thanks for the invite! Had fun and got to see lots of new sights that I can share with others now and spread the wealth! Thanks again :-)