Mar 14, 2007

Welcome to the Outside World

Today I received my first comment from someone that is not in my circle of family or friends. Last night I listed my blog on BlogHer.org, a website for blogs written by females. Today I was tagged with two more"meme's" by Zandria M from outside Washington D.C.. In blogspeak, a meme is an idea that is shared and passed from blog to blog, like a question posted in one blog and answered in many other blogs. Usually it is expressed as a list of questions about yourself, to be answered in such a way that others can learn more about you. My first entry in this blog was a "meme" about Six Weird Things About Me. So, without further ado, here's are MY answers to the "meme's" that were posed by Zandria:
Meme #1
3 Things That Scare Me
1. Thunderstorms.
2. Being the center of attention in a crowd
3. Crowds and lots of commotion

3 People Who Make Me Laugh:
1. Ben
2. Andy
3. Bernie

3 Things I Love:
1. Watching NASCAR.
2. The ocean
3. My family and friends (does that count as two?)

3 Things I Hate:
1. Being Late for ANYTHING.
2. Ambiguity of any sort
3. Bugs (especially Cockroaches and Palmetto Bugs).

3 Things I Don’t Understand:
1. Stereo Instructions
2. Why people around here are so anti-military (not just anti-war). Don't they understand that we are also there to (God Forbid) protect them?
3. Homophobia

3 Things On My Desk:
1. At home I have a printer, a lamp, and mug of pens.
2. At work I have a picture of Ben, a philodendron, and a phone.

3 Things I’m Doing Right Now:
1. Answering email from Ben
2. Checking news on foxnews.com
3. Watching "Jericho"

3 Things I Want To Do Before I Die:
1. Go back to Alaska
2. Help as many people as I can while I am here
3. Write a novel (no, really, I want to)

3 Things I Can Do:
1. Make pancakes from scratch
2. Complete maintenance on my car (I just choose NOT to anymore)
3. My own taxes

3 Things I Can’t Do:
1. Be outgoing with strangers (I am SUCH an introvert).
2. Come up with a "comeback" when it's appropriate (usually by the time I think of one, it's long past the time it would even be remotely funny or applicable)
3. Skydive (although Andy keeps telling me I should)

3 Things I Think You Should Listen To:
1. (I can't believe I'm saying this) Your Parents
2. Your gut
3. The Pachelbel Cannon

3 Things You Should Never Listen To:
1. Anyone who ever tells you that you "can't."
2. Hypocrites
3. Rap music so loud I can hear it a block away

3 Things I’d Like To Learn:
1. Spanish
2. How to drive a stick-shift confidently
3. Glass Blowing

3 Favorite Foods:
1. Red Curry Chicken (Toomie's Thai Red Curry is good, but I prefer my own).
2. Fish tacos
3. Creme Brulee

3 Shows I Watched As A Kid:
1. Sesame Street
2. Mr. Rogers Neighborhood
3. Reading Rainbow
(I stole those answers from Zandria...mine were the same)
***************************************************
Meme #2:
The Wikipedia Edition.

Instructions: Pull up Wikipedia and search for your birthday. Find three notable historic events that occurred on that day, two notable births (besides yourself), one death, and one holiday.

On March 20:
Notable historic events:
1760 - The "Great Fire" of Boston destroys 349 buildings
1922 - The USS Langley is commissioned as the first United States Navy aircraft carrier
2003 - 2003 invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries begin military operations in Iraq.
Notable births:
1928 - Fred Rogers (from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood)
1948 - Bobby Orr (of the Boston Bruins!)
Notable Death:
1727 - Sir Isaac Newton
One Holiday:
The Vernal Equinox

So...now you know me a little bit better...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a another posting from outside your circle of family and friends....


Emily noted in her blog of 14 March 2007:

On March 20:
Notable historic events:
1922 - The USS Langley is commissioned as the first United States Navy aircraft carrier

- - - - - - -

As members of the Sea Services, Emily and Ben may appreciate a visit to the photo album site (http://community.webshots.com/user/tetvet68). There you may view my tributes to my father:

One hundred three (103) year old, 'Navy Centenarian Sailor', former Aviation Chief Radioman (ACRM, Combat Aircrewman) later wartime commissioned Chief Warrant Officer Julio 'Jay' Ereneta, USN (Ret.), veteran of World War One and World War Two. He first flew aircrewman in August 1922. In the 1920s/1930s, Ereneta flew rearseat Radioman/Gunner in air squadrons of the Navy's first aircraft carriers, USS LANGLEY (CV-1) and USS LEXINGTON (CV-2).

You may also view there, America's oldest Medal of Honor recipient, living his ninety-eighth (98th) year, former Aviation Chief Ordnanceman (ACOM), later wartime commissioned Lieutenant John W. Finn, USN (Ret.). Finn is also the last surviving Medal of Honor, 'The Day of Infamy', Japanese Attack on the Hawaiian Islands, Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

TetVet68
San Diego, California

Anonymous said...

Hey Em - a post from the ragged edge of your circle of family and friends...:

October 24th:

1260 - The spectacular Cathedral of Chartres is dedicated in the presence of King Louis IX of France; the cathedral is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site

1857 - Sheffield F.C., the world's first football club, is founded in Sheffield, England

1947 - Walt Disney testifies to the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists

There's something in there about the United Nations, too...

Births: 1632 - Anton van Leeuwenhoek, Dutch microbiologist, and 1948 - Kweisi Mfume, American civil rights activist, U.S. Congressman from Maryland, and as a special bonus, 1972 - Scott Peterson, American murderer

Death: 1935 - Dutch Schultz, American gangster.

Holiday: It's allegedly something called "Take Back Your Time Day." It's also mentioned in "Fellowship of the Ring," to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell, which I guess makes it a holiday to some.

Amy said...

On March 20:
2005 - Emma Rose Mast (Ben's niece) was born.