Feb 20, 2007

Milestones

Today has been a day of milestones for me. Some may think of them as minor ones, but to me they are huge.

Today was the first day of my TAP Class. No, I don't mean dancing. TAP stand for Transition Assistance Program. These are classes that I am mandated to take in order to help me make my transition into the "real world." These are classes that I begrudgingly signed up for, certain that they would be a waste of my time. Truthfully though, today was very helpful. I'm starting to learn about some of the benefits that I may be eligible for, and gotten some really good information on what kind of things to expect when I finally leave the service for good. I guess the best way to put it is that this class is the beginning of the end for my Coast Guard career. Although I am still very nervous about that, I am also getting very excited. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Today marks 39 days until I go terminal leave. I've broken the 40 day mark! Things are going to start going really fast now, I am sure. But, I have been working very hard to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row.

All of the talk today about transitions also made me start thinking about the yard sale that I am going to have to have soon, and all of the things I'm going to either have to sell or give away. Ben and I will be combining 5 years worth of stuff that both of us have accumulated into one two-bedroom apartment. Let me tell you, everything that we have right now isn't going to fit...by a long shot. I've already made a deal for my couch, the washer, and the dryer. I still have other things that I need to find takers for (the patio set, the papa-san chair, bookshelves...you name it). But I know that he's been working on getting rid of a lot of stuff too. We have a lot of work to do though before that moving truck with all of my stuff pulls up in front of the apartment building...

Last but not least, tonight I went to my weekly Weight Watchers meeting...and I was told that I had lost 5 pounds since I started! I was very excited. It's encouraging to see the scale drop.

I know that this post is a little out of character after the last eleven, but I have a cold. Unfortunately, I can't buy any Sudafed (like was recommended at the clinic today). I stood in line for half an hour at Walgreens this evening to hear the manager tell me that they cannot sell me the decongestant. You see, their computers are down, and I need to sign an electric document in order to bring the medication out of the store. I understand the need to regulate the sale of pseudophedrine in order to help regulate methamphetamine production, but tonight I can't help but wonder if this is getting a little ridiculous.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you're going to your TAPs class... I still haven't even looked at the schedule!