Feb 19, 2007

The things I do just so I can do my taxes...

I enjoy doing my taxes. I know, I'm weird. Yeah, there is probably something wrong with me. However, I enjoy it. It is a giant puzzle that I can check and recheck, AND in the end...I generally get paid! Yay! I enjoy doing my taxes so much that last year, I even did Ben's taxes.

I'm considering going back to school to become an accountant, but that's another story for a later time.

On Saturday, I sat down and got out all of my forms so I could file online. That was when I remembered that my printer didn't work. That meant that when I was done, I couldn't print out my copies of my forms. I am a nazi when it comes to paperwork. Not only do I print it, but I file it. My files are even color coded...yeah, I'm a little wierd about that too (however, I have ALWAYS had copies of my bills and reciepts when I needed them...and I knew EXACTLY where to find them). Therefore, I couldn't do my taxes.

So, today I went out and bought a new printer. I wish I could say I'm excited about it, but alas, I'm actually kind of angry. You see, I had a great printer before. It was a Lexmark InkJet, and it printed with beautiful quality. Then the AC adapter went bad while I was on Christmas leave. Not a big deal - or at least I didn't think so. The AC adapter isn't actually a Lexmark part. It is made by a little company out here in San Jose. I brought the converter in to Best Buy (where I learned that it had gone bad), and asked if I could just buy a replacement part. That is when I found out that they don't carry them. Neither does OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, or any other chain store. You see, nobody sells this part. After talking to salespeople in these stores, I discovered that this part failure is a fairly common thing. When I got on the website for the small company, they ALSO said it was a common problem. And they would fix it for me...for $40! Not to mention that I had to pay shipping and handling both to send it back, and for it's return. What a gyp!

So, now I own an Epson printer/copier/scanner that I got on sale. It sure LOOKS impressive. For $10 dollars more, I could have gotten it to be a fax too...but then reality sunk in, and I realized that I really didn't NEED that. But it could have been fun though...
Not bad for the cost of repair, shipping, and handling...and this one has a VERY good warranty.

No comments: